Traveling aint easy when you're visiting a new city and have a palate created by BurgaBox. Everyone is screaming "pick me" on Instagram and Yelp but it can be hard to tell which places are actually worth the stop. That's where we come in. Our newest weekly post, "24 Hours in the City" will help you filter out the phonies and conquer each city with a full stomach and a slight buzz. Because that's the only way we know how to travel.
First things first...
Where to Stay: Nashville is not a pedestrian friendly city so you might find yourself relying on Uber and the city bike share, B-Cycle to get around. In order to maximize time and minimize spending, find a hotel or Airbnb as close to downtown as possible. From there, you'll be able to access close by neighborhoods such as The Gulch, East Nashville and Germantown that have some of the best restaurants and shopping around.
Breakfast: We love our breakfast sweet. So we have some options that will spike your blood sugar, but in the best way. And there's one you definitely donut want to miss.
- Five Daughters Bakery: One word, cronut. Their "100 Layer Donut" is fried, dipped in sugar and then filled with homemade cream. They a huge list of flavors including the Elvis Presely (Banana, PB and bacon), S'mores, and one stuffed with ice cream. Fun fact: The owners Issac and Stephanie actually have five daughters and they are still killing the game. Find their donuts in East Nashville, 12 South and in many of the Barista Parlor locations (another goodie, if you love hipsters).
- If you're more of a coffee for breakfast person (we will never understand you), Crema Coffee and Barista Parlor are some of the more popular options. Although quite expensive, Barista Parlor's coffee is responsibly sourced and one of the most trendy spots in Nashville. Our favorite drink was the BP Mule, a mixture of ginger beer and cold brew coffee. If you need a snack, we recommend "The Judge" breakfast sandwich. It is loaded with fluffy eggs, pepper jack cheese and candied bacon on a biscuit.
Lunch: This was tough, but we narrowed down a solid list of food that will momentarily cure the famous BurgaBox withdrawals.
- Mas Tacos Por Favor: If you passed this restaurant on the street, you might be quick to blow this place off. But it honestly could be the biggest regret of your life. They have everything from authentic tamales, chicken tortilla soup and of course, the best tacos in all of Nashville. To complete your meal, order the Mexican Corn and Cuban Black Beans...just ask Guy Fieri.
- Biscuit Love: if you want to ride the southern biscuit train, this should be your next stop. The highlight of their menu are the bonuts (a combination between a biscuit and doughnut...yes these exists) and "Wash Park", a beef burger smothered in Bacon Jam and Pimento Cheese between a fresh biscuit. Biscuit Love is located in The Gulch conveniently located near a B-Cycle station and a Barry's Bootcamp, just incase you want to work some of those calories off.
- The Pharmacy: Also located in East Nashville (and right across the street from Mas Tacos), The Pharmacy is a must stop for a BurgaBoss like yourself. Find similarities between our Texan and Green Monstah with their Mission City and Chili Burger or switch it up with a falafel burger. They also pride themselves on their wurst selection and extensive biergarten...and we totally agree. Get a solid burger and a buzz at The Pharmacy.
Pre-Dinner Drinks: Finding a place to drink and listen to live music is probably the easiest thing you'll do in Nashville. If you just make your way to Downtown on Broadway Street, take your pick. Each bar will have 3 floors of live music and plenty of cheap drinks and happy hours going on during the day. Acme Feed & Seed is a good first stop, but again there are plenty of bars to chose from.
If you want to keep the craziness to the night time, here are some low key spots for a solid day of drinking.
- Yazoo Brewing Company: Yazoo was first brewed in a college farmhouse in Virginia and has made it big in one of Nashville's popular neighborhood, The Gulch. They are open Wednesday-Saturday and only give tours on the weekends.
- Jackalope Brewing Company: Grab a flight and challenge a friend to a game of Jenga. Jackalope Brewery is more than a place to drink delicious beer, they have a ton of boardgames that are even more entertaining when you've had a few tastes.
- Nashville Pedal Tavern: Alright this is far from tame, especially if you're with a big group...but it perfect for a pre-dinner party. For two hours, you will peddle a moving bar around the city. The event is BYOB but every twenty minutes or so, the driver will stop at local bars and you'll receive special drink deals. Our favorite stop of the day was the George Jones Rooftop Bar (on the Broadway Route) because of the awesome view of the city. Pro Tip: Book your tour ASAP, they fill up fast!
Dinner: Mmmmm our favorite part of the day.
- Butchertown Hall: After a day of drinking, you need all the meat you can get. Their menu selections range from bratwursts and brisket plates to a pound of your favorite meat with a side of carbs. Have you heard of anything more perfect since BurgaBox?
Monells's: If you want the authentic southern experience, Monells is the place to be. Each meal is served family style and for a set price, you will get a plethora of meats, vegetables and salads of the day, plus drink and dessert. Warning: if you're not feeling social, I would skip out on this one. Most likely you'll be sitting next to a stranger and asking them to pass the butter...so plan ahead. But my guess is if you followed our day drinking advice...you should be feeling plenty friendly.
Go Out on the Town: Again, it won't be hard to find a place with some live music and dancing. If you're on Broadway Street, you'll surely find everyone lining up outside of Tootsies and Honky Tonk Central. Between the two bars, there will be 6 talented bands playing on every floor and plenty of alcohol flowing. Other popular bars are Winners and Losers, located right next to each other in Music Row. Winners has live music and Losers has karaoke.
If you're not into dancing, try Pinewood Social, a bar that has a combination between bowling, bocce ball, craft cocktails and even a living room.
And for the most important part...
Late Night Eating: I don't know about you, but pizza is our go to late night snack and there is nothing better than a NYC slice. Find the Big Apple in Nashville at Five Points Pizza and make sure to get the garlic knots. Then you should probably brush your teeth and go to bed...
At the end of your last garlic knot bite, we are hoping you feel satisfied enough to leave Nashville with no regrets. Let us know if you end up visiting (or have visited) these places and how you liked them!
Look out for us next week in our next "24 Hours in the City" and conquer another city, one day at a time!